Empress Michiko, on the occasion of her 84th birthday on Saturday, wished that Japan will have a new peaceful era following the imperial succession next year.

"I am confident that, from May of next year, the crown prince will serve the duties of Emperor with his whole heart, just as his majesty has done," she said in a statement, referring to Emperor Akihito, who will abdicate the throne on April 30.

"Together with his majesty, I, too, shall keep praying for the good of our country and our people, and for peace in the new era that the crown prince and crown princess will be building together in the future," she said.

Crown Prince Naruhito will ascend to the throne the day after his 84-year-old father's abdication, based on his desire to do so due to concern about his age and failing health.

In what would likely be her last statement to be issued on her birthday, she recalled Emperor Akihito's 30 years of dedication to his work, and efforts to live as a symbol of the state and the unity of the people, a role stipulated in the Constitution, as well the nearly 60 years that she has been with him since their wedding.

She said the emperor devoted himself to his duties with "all his strength and all his heart," as he said in a rare video message in August 2016 when he signaled his wish to step down.

"At his side, I saw how, as he performed each of his duties, his majesty gradually deepened his trust and devotion toward our country and our people," she said.